State Funds Allocated for Preservation of 14th-Century Russian Monastery

Originally appeared at: Orthodox Christianity

With the help of funds allocated by the Russian Ministry of Culture, the 14th-century Sts. Boris and Gleb Monastery in the Yaroslavl Province will undergo necessary preservation work.

The monastery, located in the village of Borisoglebsky, is considered an object of cultural heritage of federal significance, thus local Yaroslavl Province authorities are working together with federal authorities to halt the process of the dilapidation of the eastern wall of the monastery.

According to the Yaroslavl Province press service, $40,550 (3 million rubles) have been allocated by the Ministry of Culture, and the local Department for the Protection of Cultural Heritage Objects has already issued a permit to carry out the emergency work.

“The preservation of such unique ensembles of ancient Russian architecture is important for future generations,” said Deputy Chairman of the Provincial Government Roman Kolesov.

“Currently, the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation is working on the issue of financing design, survey and restoration works for the ensemble of the Sts. Boris and Gleb Monastery at the expense of the federal budget,” he noted.

Specifically, the purpose of the emergency prevention work is to prevent further destruction of the central part of the monastery’s eastern wall.

***

yarregion.ru

yarregion.ru    

The monastery was founded in 1363 by Sts. Theodore and Paul of Rostov. The site of the monastery was chosen by St. Sergius of Radonezh, who also blessed St. Paul to join St. Theodore. The monastery was later home to St. Irinarkh the Recluse, who blessed Prince Dmitry Pozharsky and Kuzma Minin to defend Moscow from the Poles in the early 17th century.

Until the 16th century, the monastery buildings were all made of wood, with the first stone structures appearing in the middle of the century.

The monastery was a spiritual center until it was ravaged and desecrated in 1924. It was put to various uses during the Soviet period. The revival of the monastery began in 1994, and in 2015, all the property was officially returned to the ownership of the monastery.